Friday, June 29, 2007

It's almost July!




I can't believe that it is almost JULY! Where does the time go. The fire I was talking about is 60% contained now. They lost 80 structures to the fire and with a little help from a day of rain they got it under control. No more smoke and the skies once again are filled with the sun! It has so far been a very dry summer. I would say it was still cool, but the locals call this a "hot dry summer". We haven't seen one day at 70 yet. But if you have ever visited Alaska, 65 in the summer sun feels like 80. I don't know why that phenomenon is, but it just "feels" warmer. One thing we don't have here is humidity. Which I don't miss at ALL!


The Alaskan tourist season got off to a slow start, but this week, all of a sudden, it just went crazy. I am very busy at work from the moment I get in until the moment I leave, and then still at 10pm, even when the store has it's OPEN sign off, and the doors are locked, people STILL knock at the door and insist on coming in. The fishing charters that I book for have been very busy and they all have been catching their limit of Halibut. The largest so far is 340.6 lbs. sure to be a contender in our Halibut Jackpot, which last year netted the winner over $44,000.00


I am very surprised at the amount of Eagles that are hanging around this summer. Generally this is their stomping ground in winter, and they find other refuge in summer due to the crowds, but this year, they are still EVERYWHERE. Last night on my way home from work, I swear some tourists got as close at 10 feet from one to take it's picture and it just sat there, undisturbed.


Here are some pics for you to enjoy! These are from last year when we visited with my sister in September. Still of beautiful Alaska, but I haven't had my camera out lately to show any pics. Talk to you all soon!


No comments: