Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Fall, is here, like it or not!










Well,




I can't believe it's been over a month since my last post. Not a whole lot to report. Ray and I took a short trip this past month to Anchorage. It was great to go out and eat Sushi, and Thai food. We also enjoyed the farmers market with all of the fresh local produce, but I forgot the cooler at home, so we didn't take much with us (bummer!). We also took a trip to a town called Cooper Landing. It is right on the Kenai River which is amazing to see.
















The color of the river is so magical. It's like a very deep blue. Amazing. We rented a house and loved it, and explored the area. When we were visiting it was 80 degrees! No kidding! It felt like 100+. We ate outside at one restaurant when we were there and most of the tourists couldn't take the heat outside and insisted on sitting inside. When I say 80 degrees, the heat index has to be a LOT higher here in AK.




My job ended on Labor Day, which was a week too late as I got a bad case of Bronchitis the end of August. I was working, but it was very difficult. After losing my voice completely, and a week of coughing, Ray took me to the Dr, who gave me the meds I needed. I am feeling MUCH better, but still not 100%. It surely took a lot out of me. Ray's job ends in a couple of weeks. We hope to get some travelling done before the snow starts to fly too much. There is already a chill in the air in the mornings. Still though, the thermometer reads 60's in the day and 50's at night. But we are seeing some of the leaves beginning to change color, so Fall is definitely here.


Here are some pictures of the Time Bandit for you folks who follow Deadliest Catch on Discovery Channel. The guys that run the boat live in Homer and we see the boat and the guys quite a bit. They are so "Alaskan" and don't take their fame too seriously. Still walking around town with torn clothing and beat up cars. That is one of the reasons why I love Alaska so much.


No one is out to be someone they aren't. They are just themselves. No snootiness, no clothing wars, or who's car is the best or house is the nicest. People in Alaska just live. It could be typar as siding or cedar shingle sided, Carhartt pants, or........Carhartt overalls, Rubber boots, or XTRA Tuffs, all Homerites come as they are. They shop in their PJ's, walk around town shoeless, eat dinner out braless, and in most cases un showered for several days, and everyone is OK with it. The other day while at Safeway, I saw a woman in a full pink PJ suit with full booties and zipped up front. She just casually walked and got what she needed, and not ONE person looked at her funny or said anything. Amazing! Perhaps the locals just know they can't compete with the breathtaking beauty of the land so they submit to it by just being.........themselves....with no errs.......
Until next time. Be well!








No comments: